Call Us Today: (407) 438-2432
SafeCare Docs – Central Florida
Accident Injury Medical Care
Serving Central Florida
Low back pain facts
Functions of the low back, or lumbar area, include structural support, movement, and protection of certain body tissues.
Pain in the low back can be a result of conditions affecting the bony lumbar spine, discs between the vertebrae, ligaments around the spine and discs, spinal cord and nerves, muscles of the low back, internal organs of the pelvis and abdomen, and the skin covering the lumbar area.
Treatment of low back pain is optimally directed toward a diagnosed or suspected specific cause. For acute lumbar strain, use of a home remedy initially can be beneficial.
When to seek medical advice
Get medical care immediately if you have severe low back pain that:
– Follows a fall, blow to your back or other injury
– Is constant or intense
– Worsens during rest or at night
– Spreads down one or both legs
– Causes weakness, numbness or tingling in one or both legs
– Is associated with new bowel or bladder problems
– Is accompanied by fever
– Is associated with pain or throbbing in the abdomen
– Is accompanied by unexplained weight loss
Also, see your doctor if you start having back pain for the first time after age 50, or if you have a history of cancer, osteoporosis, steroid use, or drug or alcohol abuse.